It’s the 40th anniversary of Elvis, the King of Rock & Roll’s death, but the icon’s spirit lives on, and he is still popular today. Here are 10 facts you might not know about him.
- Elvis dyed his hair black, it was actually naturally brown.
- Elvis paid $4 to make his first record, which he made for his mum.
- Whilst in jail Barry White heard Elvis’s 1960 hit “It’s Now or Never”. He vowed to pursue a career in music upon his release.
- Even though Elvis recorded more than 600 songs, he never wrote any of them.
- Elvis only ever played five concerts outside of America, and they were on a 3 day tour in Canada in 1957. Some believe this is because his manager was an illegal immigrant from Holland who would be deported if he applied for a US passport.
- Elvis has sold over 1 billion records worldwide.
- He holds that record for Most Top 40 hits, with 114 in total!
- He won three Grammy awards – all for gospel music.
- While at school Elvis sang in a talent show, but came in fifth place. He also received a C in his Grade 8 music class.
- Elvis got his first guitar aged 12, but at the time he really wanted a bike.
Why not celebrate Elvis’s life with one of the following events?
Elvis in Concert, Live on Screen – Various Locations around the UK
To celebrate the 40th anniversary of Elvis Presley’s life and legacy, the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra accompany the King himself singing his classic hits, live on screen. The concert will also have a special appearance by Pricilla Presley, wife of Elvis.
Shawn Klush – Eventim Apollo
Direct from the USA – the world’s most successful Elvis tribute artist of all time, Shawn Klush, is bringing his incredible show to London’s Eventim Apollo in 2018 – along with members of Presley’s original band.
Shawn exploded onto the UK scene when millions of UK viewers tuned in to see him win the BBC’s search for “The World’s Greatest Elvis”, hosted by Vernon Kay. He also won the first ever official contest held by Elvis Presley Enterprises in Memphis, to find the Ultimate Elvis Tribute Artist Champion.
The Elvis Years – Whitley Bay Playhouse
The story of ‘The King’ is being brought to life on stages across the UK in an outstanding musical production. The Elvis Years features the highs and lows of Elvis’s life. With a world class cast of actor/musicians, authentic costumes and nostalgic film footage. The Elvis Years also features over 50 massive Elvis hits.
The World Famous Elvis Show – Liverpool Olympia & Tyne Theatre & Opera House
Created by Elvis fans for Elvis fans, with a cast of professional musicians. The world’s leading Elvis performer Chris Connor recreates the King’s performances. Chris remarkable look, voice, and mannerisms and humbleness is the talk of many Elvis fans worldwide.
Elvis on Tour Exhibition – The O2
The exhibition will provide fans with a never before seen glimpse of The King’s life on tour in the 1970’s. It will feature 200 artefacts from the Graceland archives. This includes some of Elvis’ most recognisable jumpsuits and guitars that he played on tour. Featuring exclusive interviews with Elvis’s touring band for the first time ever. It will provide insight into what it was like playing with one of the most iconic musicians of all time.