The first direct arena in Leeds has beaten off stiff global competition to win the prestigious New Venue of the Year title at the Stadium Business Awards in London.
The arena, which opened last summer with performances from Bruce Springsteen and Sir Elton John, won the title at a high profile ceremony at the RAF museum in London.
It beat other nominees including the new Olympic Stadium in Sochi, the SSE Hydro in Glasgow and the Allianz Riviera stadium in Nice.
The award is assessed by a panel of industry experts worldwide including judges from Australia, the USA and Europe.
Tony Watson the arena’s director of sales, marketing and PR, said:
“We’re delighted the hard work of our teams have been recognized with this prestigious award. The backing of our partners has been exceptional.”
6 great facts about the first direct arena, Leeds
- first direct arena has a 13,500 capacity.
- The Boss, Bruce Springsteen played the first concert their on 24 July 2013.
- The arena officially opened when Sir Elton John played there on 04 September 2013.
- the first direct arena brings over £25million to the local Leeds economy every year.
- Now that an arena has been built in Leeds, Bristol is now the only major UK city without an arena size venue.
- Eventim are the official ticketing partner of the first direct arena.